Layne Staley Quotes:
- "People have the right to ask questions and dig deep when you're hurting people and things around you,
but when I haven't talked to anyone in years, and every single article I see is dope this, junkie that, whiskey this- that
ain't my title...my bad habits aren't my title. My strengths and talents are my title."
- "I found out through the Internet that I have AIDS. I learned that I was dead. Where else would I find
these things? I don't see a doctor regularly. I was in San Francisco at Lollapalooza, and this girl walked up to me and stopped
like she had seen a ghost. And she said "You're not dead." and I said, "No, you're right." Wow."
- "We try to be real nice and friendly to people, but sometimes they take advantage of that."
- "Nobody ever asks Meat Loaf, 'What do you eat? Why do you eat so much? Shouldn't you lose some weight?'
No, he shouldn't. He's fucking Meat Loaf. He writes songs, and he has a great time, and none of your fuckin' business. Maybe
he eats meatloaf every fucking night, you know?"
- "Who the fuck is Alice?"
- "We're Alice in Chains and this is my broke foot...thank God it ain't a broke dick"
- "I'm not into religion, but I have a good grasp on my spirituality. I just believe that I'm not the greatest
power on this earth. I didnt create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job."
- "When somebody starts asking me if I'm an addict of how messed up I am or just stupid and stuff like
that, it's like man do you have a brain at all? Aside from a brain, do you have any feelings at all? What if I started asking
these questions? This is really personal stuff!"
- "When I tried drugs they were fucking great, and they worked for me for years, and now they're turning
against me- and now I'm walking through hell and this sucks. I didn't want my fans to think heroin was cool. But then I've
had fans come up to me and give me the thumbs up, telling me they're high. That's exactly what I didn't want to happen."
- "I see a lot of you are dressed up like some of the members of Kiss, but none of you are dressed up like
me. What's up with that?" (opening for Kiss in 1995)
Layne Staley's Poem:
I suppose somewhere inside me
I yearn for freedom from
holds me stagnant
Over exaggeration turns underestimated
Emotion. Why the urgency to hide and
the flow of that, which could,
And perhaps will, improve, and
Heal the burning inside?
I am protecting my pain
And I so badly want to keep my
Pain to myself
But, in doing so I am hurting
So many who cross me, or care
Aching for love and acceptance,
Only to throw you down in the latter
Of our shared love
Yet anger and
guilt not shared
Between me and you
You are blamed for all that is a
Mystery within myself...burning
Oh, I pray
that I might someday
Throw a blanket over that angry
If the strength is found within the
Core of my being
tears soak my heart and
Weight it down
I am drowning, and I am tired,
And so very, very lonely
Kurt Cobain Quotes
"His role has been played for years. Ever since the beginning of rock and roll, there's been an Axl
Rose. And it's just boring. It's totally boring to me. Why it's such a fresh and new thing in his eyes is obviously because
it's happening to him personally and he's such an egotistical person that he thinks that the whole world owes him something."-Kurt Cobain on Axl Rose
"There's definitely some pieces in there that reflect on my personal life, but really, they aren't
as personal as everybody thinks they are. I would like them to be more personal. The emotions, the songs themselves
are personal. I can't do it - I've tried to write personally and it just doesn't seem to work. It would be too obvious. Some
things that you could read in could fit into anyone's life that had any amount of pain at all. It's pretty cliche'."-Kurt Cobain on his lyrics
"Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana'
means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock."
"Zits are beauty marks." (1992)
"I can’t tell you how much my attitude has changed
since we’ve got Frances. I don’t want my daughter growing up with people telling her that her parents were junkies."
"[Drugs] are a total waste of time. We have a lot of young fans, and I don’t want anything to do with
inciting drug use. People who use drugs are fucked."
"I’m a much happier guy than a lot of people think I am." (1994)